this really is me with roni size, its just that cameraphones are shit, and i left my digicam back at bunkers hill. oops. the scratch perverts were fantastic, although towards the end, it all went a little too fatman scoop for my liking 🙂
clicky for radio rip of “i bet you look good on the dancefloor” by the sugababes. its a poor quality rip, but its good enough to find out how it sounds 🙂
its the b-side to the new single “red dress” (which is possibly the greatest pop single to be released in 2006). Ive been raving about this song since last september, and its finally getting a release. Saw the video for it last night. they are all looking mighty fine in the video!
there are lots of reasons i hate myspace. yes i am a member, but it doesnt stop me from hating almost everything about it.
yes, its a repository for camwhores, goths, drama queens and spastics, and the music side of things is pretty good, but the bad points outweigh the good parts by far.
so heres a list of what is currently wrong with myspace:
- almost everyone is “tom’s friend” which breaks the whole social networking side of things (meaning EVERYONE is in your extended network)
- the aforementioned repository for camwhores, goths, drama queens and spastics
- everyone and their dog has music on their pages, its not been this bad for web design since the late 90s when everyone had a bad midi file playing! or even worse… video files…. or the criminal act of SEVERAL fucking videos at once!
- are some people blind? do they not realise that complex background images are a truly retarded idea? especially when you dont set a plain background for the text box areas. look at this example:
(click for fullsize atrocity – names have been blurred out to protect the innocent)
- band who add you because they want to plug their badly recorded dogshit at the widest possible audience. bands so terrible that if their demo cd dropped through your letterbox you would return to sender – addressee not known at this address. why in gods name would i want a black metal band adding me? its not like they read the profiles and think “ooh, he shares a lot of common interests, lets get in touch!”… no. they see i am from nottingham, and have rock city in my friendslist and decide to spam me with their shitty dirge, even though i specifically state that i dont want bands i dont know adding me unless they actually think i might like them, and if this is the case, message me first. i’m now a big fan of the DENY button. sometimes, if i am bored, i will message them back and rant. one band ended up having a nice chat with me about stuff, and eventually i added them. nice bunch of people, shame about their music.
- i thought LJ was the place for camwhores and sulky teenagers, but myspace adds a whole new dimansion, with LJ you are fairly restricted in what you can do to your page, whereas in myspace, you can add every single item of html-breaking code you want, as well as a thousand different CPU and bandwidth-hungry little “customisations”… some pages crash my browser(s) completely, others just lock it up for long periods of time. either way, i write them off as a clueless fucking idiot who needs taking out back and shooting – i thought geocities homepages (and more recently moonfruit) were where all the kids with no clue of style and design go… these days, you are more likely to find them on myspace, thanks to the proliferation of “codes” sites that give you these processor-locking buttons, videos, memes, music, and the rest of the dogshit associated with it all.
i could carry on ranting, but its midnight, and if i dont go have a glass of wine, i fear i may turn into an angry pumpkin.
poptunes.org needs your help!
if you fancy writing about pop music and/or the state of music today, then get in touch!
we already have a couple of people onboard, but need more to help make the place somewhere that gets lots of readers and stuff 🙂
go on, give it a try. write a rant about something you think will fit in nicely here and post it either as a comment, or mail it to me (if you already have my email)
Midget are back together!
one of my favourite punkpop bands of the 1990s are back together. i was listening to an album of theirs a year or two ago and thinking how that they should be MASSIVE now with bands like busted and mcfly and co doing the rounds.
go to their myspaz page and listen to “invisible balloon”. its pop genius. It’s a song i have been playing at DJ gigs for years now, but never got the recognition it deserved.
seriously, i am *so* excited about this…. i wasnt even this excited when pop will eat itself got back together!
holy fuck! miss black america are back too with a new album and tour
The Boosh Night on BBC Radio 7.
The Boosh gets its own theme night on BBC7 as comedians Julian Barratt and Noel Fielding join Alex Riley. All six episodes of this award-winning comedy about two zookeepers and their strange adventures are linked by insightful interviews with the stars. Like many successful comedies, The Boosh started life on radio before transferring to television.
Saturday 18th February at 8pm
Listen with your ears!
i FUCKING HATE james fucking blunt and coldplay. they need to die.
however… KT tunstall was looking particularly lovely tonight.
also, when did debbie harry start looking so old and rough? i used to be in love with her when i was younger 🙁
kanye west is on now, he looks like flavor flav but without a giant clock medallion. and he’s surrounded by 200 dancing ho’s
jo whiley is looking like courtney love
i dont like katie meluauauauauas music, but shes a very pretty lady indeed
ummmm, i went outside not long ago for the first time today, opened the door, and there greeting me were two pints of milk!
do you think he’s seen the posters and has tracked me down?
I’ve never ordered milk in the past, why should it turn up now?
hopefully he will bring me some ORANGE JUICE tomorrow (if he’s reading) as well as some milk. and i want full cow, not stripey cow.
OK, so it was the brits last night. I wasnt expecting anything less than shit anyway, so i went to watch Final Destination 3 (much more worthy of your time than this industry circle-jerk)
but before I go do something less boring instead, I would like to ask the planet what “pop” music is, what “rock” music is, and why the fuck anyone actually likes coldplay and james blunt?
the “outstanding contribution to music” kinda says it all really. Paul fucking Wellah. why is this man relevant to todays music? his music is the perfect example of everything that is wrong with music today. The fact that he leads in a sea of coldplay, james fucking blunt, the stereophonics (i noticed they didnt win anything, have they fallen out of favour now?), keane, and all the other BLAND, dull, dogshit bands out there at the moment. the sort of band bought by NME readers, and people who read the top 50 albums in Q magazine and think “oooh, i’d better go buy some of those immediately!” – the sort of person that hold dinner parties, owns dido CDs, and drives a ford mondeo.
I have nothing against dido. the term “inoffensive” springs to mind. She’s had a couple of corking tunes (“sand in my shoes” is my favourite) and the videos are extremely easy on the eye. She’s an immensely pretty lady. Its just the sort of people that buy her albums pisses me off. These are the sort of people that think (M)Anastasia is cutting edge.
The public are idiots, they shouldnt be allowed to vote. neither should the record industry, because they always go for the lowest common denominator bland trash that sells by the bucketload.
as for the pop band category. where were the sugababes and girls aloud? who the fuck thought letting james fucking blunt was a good idea?
im actually looking forward to hearing the rereleased version of the album now!